
This past Sunday we had to say good-bye to good friends. Shannon and Luis and their children Liam and Diego moved from Guatemala City to Kentucky.
Shannon and I have been friends since I first came to Guatemala, and we have had parallel lives in a number of ways. She has been a constant presence in my life, a supportive, perceptive, and cherished friend. We both came to Guatemala as human rights accompaniers and have held jobs in similar fields since then. We've shared the joys and the challenges of being North Americans living in Guatemala. We were single together and lived together in an apartment in zone 2 of the city.
Shannon and Luis met and fell in love right when Edwin and I were deepening our relationship. I'd known Luis already through the Witness for Peace house and was so pleased that these two wonderful people had found each other. We got married at around the same time. Our older children are 7 months apart and the little ones just 7 weeks apart.
When Shannon gave birth to her second child Diego, her older son Liam spent the night at our house. He and Chely woke up in the morning laughing! And when my water broke and I went into labor with Kayalá, Shannon, Luis, and the kids were visiting, and they brought us to the hospital.
Shannon and Chely:

Luis and Diego:
Our families have shared many good times and commiserated during the bad. When my aunt Janet died, Shannon was the one to break the news to me and comfort me. She and I were together during the shock of 9/11. Over the years we have supported each other through personal tragedies and political crises alike.
Together we've celebrated births and birthdays, human rights victories and Gerardi anniversaries, holidays and arts festivals. Shannon and Luis have traditionally hosted Thanksgiving in their home, delighting us with their warm company, exquisite fare, and lively conversation.
Liam visiting us in the hospital after Kayalá's birth:
Chely holding Diego:
Diego has passed down clothing, a comfy bouncy chair, a dinosaur boppy, and a splendid bathtub to Kayalá. Chely gave Liam, an avid airplane lover, two toy planes when they left, and Shannon reports that Liam carries them everywhere he goes.
Edwin and I are honored to be godparents to Liam and Diego.
Edwin, Liam, and Chely:

Helping Liam take a swing at Chely's birthday piñata:

The de León Lockhart family has been at the center of our lives for so long that their absence leaves a big hole. I miss them terribly...
Shannon with Kayalá and me with Diego:
My mourning at their leaving makes me reflect anew on the pain and sadness of living far from my family. Just as Shannon and Luis have their reasons for moving to the States, we have our reasons for living in Guatemala. Nevertheless, I feel horrible to cause grief in others by living far away. I am sorry. I miss you all.
* * * * *
We wish you the best in your new life, Shannon, Luis, Liam, and Diego. Thank you for the love, the friendship, and all the precious memories... We will hold you in our hearts always.
Diego and Kayalá:
No comments:
Post a Comment