Sunday, May 13, 2012

Great Mary Little Lamb

Today is my aunt Mary's birthday! 

C likes to call her Great Mary (shortened from Great Aunt Mary), 
while K often refers to her as Little Lamb (as in "Mary had a...").




My kids often mention Mary, but 2 of their comments in particular reveal the sweet relationship they have with her. 

C must have been 3 or so, and we were talking about family relationships - who her cousins were, her aunts, etc.  She was trying to figure out how she was related to my aunt Mary.  (I guess "great-niece" was not in her vocabulary yet.)  Suddenly she beamed a great big ah-ha smile and declared, "I know what I am to Great Mary: I'm her honey!"



K, meanwhile, recently expressed her insight into how much Mary takes after my grandmother who died last year. Mary carries on Great-Gramma's nurturing, loving nature.

A couple of months ago, we buried our cat Cresh in the woods behind our house. K has been telling us that Cresh is turning into a flower (I love that idea - that truth!). Recently I asked a follow-up question - here's the conversation:

K: Cresh turned into a flower.
Me: And what did Great-Gramma turn into?
K: Great-Mary.


We love you, Great Lamb Little Gramma Mary! 

Happy birthday! 


No comments:

Post a Comment