Sunday, June 26, 2011

Poppa Love

Both of my children have a special bond with their great-grandfather, whom we call Poppa.





My grandfather is a person of creativity, understanding,
wisdom, and wonder.


My cousin's fiancé Monty created this website of Poppa's artwork.

And here you can see a photobook made in honor of his 90th birthday last year.


In the photobook, I wrote to my grandfather:
"As babies, both Chely and Kayalá would gaze at you with rapt attention for extended periods of time. They seemed to sense, as do we all, that an encounter with you is a gift of wonder,
a brush with the divine."









 
As you can see, he baptized both Graciela and Kayalá.


Kayalá expresses her bond with Poppa often.
When we are playing, she often wants Poppa to take a turn.
When we read books, she often pretends that Poppa is one of the characters.
When we pretend that we are going on a trip, her favorite destination is Poppa's house.
The other morning she wanted Poppa to brush her hair.
Today she designated one of the couch pillows as Poppa and kissed it,
saying, "I love you, Poppa."


Photos of the two of them, with interactions and parallel activities:










Poppa has a special affinity for O's - O's for wonder, awe, joy! 
Some of his collages incorporate O's. 
Kayalá said the other day,
"I love Poppa. I love O's."

In this video she expresses her love for Poppa and wants to visit him right away:





We love you, Poppa!

No comments:

Post a Comment