Saturday, November 28, 2009

Our Thanksgiving

I apologize for the absence. I've been finishing up one job (with NISGUA) while already completely engaged in another (full-time stay-at-home parenting). The little computer time I've had (solely at night) has been devoted to a special extended-family project. Now that I've finished my NISGUA tasks and completed the family project, I have more time to do other computer-related activities such as blog!

Now a note about our Thanksgiving. It is not a holiday celebrated in Guatemala, but we got together with some friends, including a number of North Americans. We hosted for the first time! In past years we've celebrated with our good friends who moved away recently, and it was sad to be apart from them. But we kept busy with preparations and company and really and truly enjoyed ourselves.


In the morning, Edwin went to the Trebol market to get a free-range turkey:



It ranged freely on our terrace for a bit...

and I felt profound gratitude for its life.

and then Edwin did the brave deed...
(no photo of that)

and here, washing him afterwards:


I was sad about his death, but also felt right in knowing how our turkey had lived and died.

While the turkey was roasting, Edwin and Chely planted a güisquil (squash-like vegetable) in the ravine behind our apartment.


Because it's not a Guatemalan holiday, people couldn't come over until they got off work. (Edwin took the day off.) Chely fell asleep waiting for the guests:


but then she woke up and had fun playing and drawing with them.

Folks brought delicious food, including broccoli in cheese sauce (Chely kept asking for more), green bean casserole, carrots and mushrooms, mashed potatoes, and a greens-and-strawberry salad. We had pecan and pumpkin pies and apple crisp with ice cream. Also on the table were sweet-corn tortillas, maize tortillas, and xep (beans in corn dough).

Serving up:



Yummy food, lively conversation, and Amanda's turkey-gobble song made for a real celebration.



With gratitude for family and friends and food...
the earth and the sun and the rain...
and for everything that Chely mentioned in her video...

No comments:

Post a Comment